now browsing by month
Welcome to Buxton-Fire Rescues Official Website. Below please find information about our Community, Department, and the way we deliver services to our Community. If you should have any questions about our department do not hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Town of Buxton, Maine, is located in Northern York County bordering Southern Cumberland County, and the communities of Saco, Hollis, Standish, Gorham, and Scarborough. The Town is 10 miles from the City of Portland with a metro population of 230,000 people. Buxton also borders the City of Saco with a total population of 18,241. Also bordering the towns of Scarborough (Population: +17k) and Gorham (Population: +14k), both with broader commercial and business base. Buxton has a slow, but growing residential base, with a slim and frozen commercial base. Currently the breakdown for land use is as follows: 60% open space, 5% commercial and 35% residential (Town of Buxton Assessor’s Office), with a total population of 8,100 residents, with 21% of those residents being under the age of sixteen.
Buxton has become a bedroom community, where 94% of workers (+16 years old) commute to and from work each day. The remaining 6% of workers (less than 250 people) carry on traditions in farming and agriculture, and other work at home. The mean family income in Buxton is $75,153, in line with the State of Maine’s mean family income. The Town of Buxton has a tax rate of $11.90 per thousand (at 100% of market value), where surrounding communities have comparable tax rates including: Gorham $16.30, Scarborough $13.80, Standish $11.60, Hollis $10.35 and Saco $18.30. One of the attractions for homeowners and builders to locate in Buxton is due to the ability to build a large home, with a low mill rate, just outside of a metro area, yet still be within a short commute to the city, or to work.
The Department provides fire, rescue, and emergency medical services through a combination fire-rescue department. The department operates from three stations strategically located to protect the 40.5 square mile community, with the following equipment: 2-Advanced Life Support Ambulances, 2-Tanker/Pumpers (+2,500 gallons), 1-Tanker, (+2,500 gallons), 2-Pumpers, 1-Rescue Pumper, 1-Quint, 1-Brush Truck, 1-Forestry Truck, and support vehicles.
The department is made up of the following employees: 1 Full Time Fire-Rescue Chief, +/- 40 Per Diem (Part Time) employees, 4 – Full Time Firefighter/Paramedics, and +/- 50 Volunteer (Paid Per Call) employees. The approximate call volume per year is between 1,000-1,100 fire/rescue calls. The department’s paid staffing level is three (3) per twenty-four (24) hour period, who are assigned to handle both fire and emergency medical calls. The department also uses Student Live In’s from Southern Maine Community Colleges’ Fire Science Program to supplement volunteer staffing.