Buxton Fire-Rescue

HomeHome

December, 2017

now browsing by month

 

Christmas Tree Fire Safety

Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas! As wonderful as they are, Christmas trees add a fire hazard to your home. A dried out Christmas tree is incredibly flammable, and burns in just seconds! Between 2011-2015 the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) reported that an average of 200 building fires in homes were started by a Christmas Tree. On average, one out of every 32 Christmas tree related fires resulted in death, and even more of them resulted in injury. Although these fires are less common, they are more likely to be serious. 

“In one-quarter (26%) of the Christmas tree fires and 80% of the deaths, some type of heat source, such as candle or equipment, was too close to the tree.”- NFPA Holiday Report.

Here are ways to keep your home safe, while still enjoying your tree!

-Water your tree daily making sure that there is always water in at least half of the tree stand.

-Keep any sources of heat (including vents, woodstoves, space heaters, hot lamps/lights, radiators, and candles) away from the tree. (at least three feet)

-If you have a woodstove in your home, you may need to water more often as woodstove heat is more dry than heat by a furnace.

-Choose a tree with fresh green needles that do not fall off when touched.

-Use tested and qualified lights, and make sure no wires are worn or broken, make sure all bulb connections are tight, and read manufacturer’s instructions for number of strands to connect.

-Do not use lit candles to decorate a tree.

-Always turn off lights before going to bed, or use a timer to shut them off for you. 

© 2014: Buxton Fire-Rescue | Easy Theme by: D5 Creation | Powered by: WordPress